We understand how important privacy is to visitors of the Hyperloop Technologies, Inc. website located at hyperloop-one.com (the "Website"). This Privacy Notice describes, among other things, the types of information collected about you when you visit the Website; how your information may be used and when it may be disclosed; how you can control the use and disclosure of your information; and how your information is protected.
This Privacy Notice applies only to information collected about you by Hyperloop Technologies, Inc. ("VHO", "we", "us", "our") by or through the Website or as otherwise described in this Privacy Notice. This Privacy Notice does not cover any information collected through any other website or by third parties. Please note that the Website may contain links to third-party websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of those sites, and we recommend that you read the privacy notices of each website that you visit.
2. Information We Collect
General: You are not required to provide information about yourself when you visit the Website. However, you may give us information, including information that can identify you ("personal information") when you communicate with us (whether via the Website or otherwise), for example if you make enquires about the Website or our technology, if you register to be kept in the loop, if you register on behalf of an organization that is interested in partnering with us or if you apply for a job or internship with us.
Joining the VHO team: When you apply for a job or internship via the Website, we ask you to provide specific information (which may vary according to the role) such as full name, email address, telephone number, how you heard about the job, your willingness to relocate to the applicable VHO group offices, why you want to work for VHO, your salary expectations and your eligibility to work in the applicable country, as set out in the online inquiry form. You may choose to provide additional information to us via your Resume/CV or cover letter or when you otherwise interact with us. We may also collect video feed of you that you can present to us during the recruiting process. Once you accept a job offer from VHO, we ask you to provide personal information, such as your date of birth, gender, any individual identification numbers and bank account information for compensation deposit purposes. In order to sign up for medical or life insurance policies above a certain coverage amount, you may be asked to provide information about your medical history; provided, however, that such information will only be collected with your explicit consent. The above information shall be collected to the extent permitted by, and in accordance with applicable law.
Registering to be kept in the loop: In order to receive updates about our story, we ask you to provide your full name and email address.
Registering your interest in partnering with us: In order to apply to partner with us, we ask you to create an account. In order to do so, we collect certain information such as business contact information first and last name, organization you represent, job title, business phone number, business email address, company website address, the program in which your organization is interested, your organization's geographic reach and a description of primary services/capabilities and interests in partnering with us. We also ask you to create a username and password and ask you to complete password reminder questions and answers.
Information You Provide When You Do Business with Us
You may also choose to provide information about yourself when you interact or do business with us (whether through the Websites or otherwise) on behalf of yourself or a prospective customer or partner or as, or on behalf of, a vendor, supplier, consultant, professional advisor or other third party, for example:
- business contact information (such as name, business phone numbers, business address, job title, responsibilities, department and name of organization);
- financial information (such as financial account information), if needed to take or make a payment or fulfil contractual obligations or for related purposes;
- information necessary to evaluate the performance of our suppliers or other business partners.
You do not have to provide personal information to us. However, unless otherwise indicated, the information we request is needed for the purpose of providing the information requested by you, entering into a business relationship with you, facilitating any partner registration, considering you for an offered job or entering into a contract of employment with you. Failure to provide it will impede the provision of such information, partner registration, our business relationship and/or the recruitment process (as the case may be).
Information that We Collect Automatically by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
We and our service providers collect information using various technologies, including cookies and pixel tags (which are also called clear GIFs, web beacons, or pixels). In some countries, including countries in the European Economic Area, this information may be considered personal information under applicable data protection laws. Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Website and your experience, and track usage of our Website. Pixel tags are electronic images that may be used on our Website or in our emails, and track usage of our Website and effectiveness of communications. You can learn more about the types of cookies we and our service providers use and the purposes for which we use them by reading our Cookie Statement.
3. Use of Information
The following section describes in more detail how VHO may use your personal information and, in particular, the legal basis on which we do so. We may use your personal information for the following purposes or for other purposes disclosed to you at the time of collection of your personal information:
Registering to be kept in the loop: When you register for updates, we ask you to consent to us sending you email alerts and updates about developments in our story that may be of interest to you. We rely on your consent as the legal basis to process your personal information for such purposes. You may withdraw this consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking on the unsubscribe link on the emails we send you.
Registering your interest in partnering with us: When you register for a partner account, we will use the information that you provide for business purposes which are in the legitimate interests of VHO ("Business Purposes"), namely, to consider partnering with your organization as well as for the purposes of administering any subsequent partnership arrangement.
Doing business with us: If you or your organization requests information from us or purchase a product or service from us, we will use any personal information provided by you to respond to that request and/or enter into or perform the relevant contract and to contact you if a problem arises with the performance of the contract. Similarly, if we procure goods or services from you or your organization, we will use any personal information you provide for the purposes of administering the relevant contractual arrangement and for our Business Purposes, namely, to evaluate the performance of any services, and maintain our ongoing relationship with you or your organization.
Joining the VHO team: If you request information about joining the VHO team or if you apply to join our team, we will use your personal information to respond to your request(s), to communicate with you during the recruitment process, to process your application, to reach a hiring decision and for related recruitment activities, including preparing employment terms if your application is successful. Where permitted by, and in accordance with, applicable law, we may undertake background checks on you to obtain specific information relevant to a role. To do this we may use information publicly available on the internet, including using sources such as professional networking sites. We may also use your personal information for statistical and analytical purposes to better understand and improve our recruitment activities. If you are accepted for a job or internship at VHO, the personal information collected during the recruitment process will form part of your ongoing employment record (if relevant to the ongoing employment relationship). If you are not successful, we may still keep your application for a limited period to consider you for other suitable openings with VHO in the future unless you request us not to do so.
The legal basis for the processing of your personal data is the legitimate interests of VHO (to carry out recruitment and to manage the hiring process), and/or where you are considered for employment, to take steps prior to entering an employment contract with you.
As a general rule, we do not request any information that reveals your racial or ethnic origin, gender identification, disability or veteran status ("Sensitive Personal data") during the recruitment process, unless authorized by law or where necessary to comply with applicable laws.
However, with your consent, we may collect information about your racial/ethnic origin, gender identification, disability or veteran status for the purposes of equal opportunities monitoring or, if you choose to provide it, you can provide information about your disabilities so that we can arrange disability access. You may also choose to provide such information voluntarily during the recruitment process. In such cases, we will handle all such Sensitive Personal data in accordance with applicable laws.
Entering contests or sweepstakes: If you enter any contests or sweepstakes sponsored by VHO, we will use the information that you provide in our legitimate interests to consider you for the award.
Information collected automatically: Data about what pages you have viewed and for how long, your Websites journey and other information collected automatically is used for the following Business Purposes:
- to measure the use of our Website, to improve the content of our Website and to ensure that such content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your devices. By collecting information about how you arrived at our Website we can understand how you look for us and we hope to make it easier to be found;
- to administer our Website for internal operations, including troubleshooting purposes; and
- as part of our effort to keep our Website safe and secure.
4. Disclosure of Information to Others
VHO may share the information we collect when we have your permission, or under the following circumstances:
- Service Providers: VHO may use third-party service providers to perform functions on our behalf, which may include assisting us in processing personal information. These service providers are subject to obligations to maintain the confidentiality of the information and are restricted from using the information for purposes other than those authorized by VHO.
- Compliance with Law and Protection of Legal Rights: VHO may disclose the information that we collect as required by law, including to respond to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, and other law enforcement measures or when we believe our compliance with a request for information to be fair, reasonable and lawful, e.g. for the Business Purposes of detecting, preventing or investigating security breaches, fraud or other crimes. VHO also may disclose such information for our Business Purposes and/or to establish, exercise or defend legal claims, for example: (i) to enforce our Terms and Conditions; (ii) to ensure the safety and security of VHO, the VHO group (and their employees, agents, and contractors), users of our Websites, and members of the public; and (iii) to protect our rights and property and the rights and property of our Website visitors, consumers and third parties.
- Business Transfers: We may share your information for our Business Purposes in connection with any reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transferring of assets, provided that the receiving party agrees to respect such personal information in a manner that is consistent with this Privacy Notice.
- Affiliated Businesses: We may share certain information that we collect within the VHO group. These group companies may use the information for the purposes identified in this Privacy Notice.
- Referees: We may share your personal information with any referees you have provided in the context of a job or internship application in order to obtain references relating to you.
- Aggregated Information: VHO may aggregate the information that we collect about you and other individuals by removing any personally identifiable information that directly identifies a user and by combining this information. This aggregated information may be used for conducting internal trend analysis, marketing and financial or operational analysis and planning or studies, and it may be shared with third parties, including business partners and government agencies.
5. International data transfers
Your personal information will be transferred to, and processed on VHO's servers in the United States, which may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country (and, in some cases, may not be as protective). In some circumstances, where you transfer personal information directly to us, the transfer will be necessary for the provision of services to you/the performance of a contract with you and/or the implementation of pre-contractual measures taken at your request. We may also use third party service providers and partners which operate around the world. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in a number of different countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice, including where you transfer it directly to VHO. Further details can be provided by contacting us using the contact details below. Any transfers from our subsidiaries in the European Economic Area would be subject to the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses (available here), as would transfers from our EEA-based vendors.
6. Data retention
We retain information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so. Please note as follows:
- Joining the VHO team: We retain your personal data for up to twelve (12) months so that we can consider you for any other potential job openings. If you do not want us to retain this information, please contact email@example.com.
- Registering to be kept in the loop: We retain your personal data until you opt out of receiving the updates using the opt-out link provided in the update communications you receive. In such circumstances, we retain a suppression file that contains the details necessary to ensure that we we continue to respect such opt-out.
- Registering your interest in partnering with us: We retain your personal data for up to twelve (12) months so that we can consider you for any other potential partnership opportunities. If you do not want us to retain this information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your information may be retained for longer for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements. It may also be retained for shorter periods if required to do so by applicable law. When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
7. Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can request us to do so at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information in certain circumstances. Again, you can do so by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the marketing e-mails we send you.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
8. Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we do, we will provide notice to you by publishing the most current version and revising the date at the top of this Privacy Notice. If we make any material change to this Privacy Notice, we will provide additional notice to you, such as by sending you an email or displaying a prominent notice on our Website. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
9. How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us using the following details:
Address: 2159 Bay Street, Los Angeles, CA 90021
The data controller of your personal information is Hyperloop Technologies, Inc., a Delaware corporation.